The Latest Reviews from Home of Books
- Fifty Words for Rain by Asha Lemmie – A book about sibling love and fateFifty Words for Rain, is the beautiful tale of Nori. The story takes place in Japan after the end of WWII. In the beginning of the book a young Nori is dropped off at the front door of her grandmother’s house by her mother, who disappears afterwards. Nori had never met her Obaasama before, but quickly learns her family is old Japanese aristocracy. Her grandmother treats Nori awfully, but Nori is a strong woman and learns to survive.
- We Have Always Been Here by Samra Habib – A Queer Muslim MemoirReading this book was an amazing experience because I learned so much, I was told about my home from a perspective not my own. I read about a woman who had endured so much, but remained strong and true to herself. She experienced fear, betrayal, suppression, rejection, discovery, and in the end found acceptance.
Welcome to Home of Books
There are new releases coming out every day, and sometimes it is hard to decide what books to read next. I love to read, and am always excited to read the next new release. I tend to choose popular books, that everyone is talking about. My favorite genre is historical fiction, but I also enjoy self-improvement and parenting books. In each review I identify the themes of the book, and what I loved about it. Reading my reviews can help you decide what books to add to your reading. Or if you already read the book, we can discuss and compare options. I love to get comments and discuss the books I read. Please take a look around, and tell me what you think.
- I picked up Untamed mostly because of its beautiful cover art. Untamed is a collection of short stories from the author’s life. Each story has a meaning or a lesson …Read More »
- Queenie was a great coming of age story. It taught me a lot about what black women face daily and did an amazing job of putting their feelings into words.Read More »
- A Korean feminist novel that sold over a million copies. Kim Jiyoung, Born 1982 is relevant all over the world, and brings to light the sexism that exists in our …Read More »
- The book starts as an appreciation for toddlers. Simone wants us to change how we think of toddlers as difficult and instead reshape our understanding of them. She wants all …Read More »
- I have a long list of books to share with you that I read in May and June. If I had to pick my favorites it would be The Ten …Read More »
Why do I like to read parenting books? Just like any skill, I think parenting is hard, and you need to practice to get better at it. As a first-time mom I had no idea what I was doing, but books helped me learn all the little things I needed to know, like feeding and sleep. Then as she got older, I used books to learn how to deal with tantrums and talk to a strong-willed toddler. Reading books written from the experiences of other parents, helps you feel like part of a group, knowing you are not alone, and learning from other people’s experiences.
Sign up for my Newsletter
- There are so many themes and analysis that could be made about The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes I’m not sure I can give it justice. It been a while …Read More »
- Inspired Mama by Sez Kristiansen was inspirational, and taught me that you can have children and still lead an exciting life. Leading the life that inspires you, teaches your children …Read More »
- Instead of being only about cleaning your workspace and keeping it tidy, Joy and Work provides good advice on how to make going to work an enjoyable experience, by organizing …Read More »
- The Ten Thousand Doors of January is a book about discovery. Discovery of your past, history, origin and true self. January is a strong heroine. She lives with her ward …Read More »
- The lack of a daily commute really has an impact on my reading time. These are the four books I read during March and April. Have you read any of …Read More »
- Meg & Jo is a novel by Virginia Kantra inspired by the classic Little Women. Meg & Jo is a classic romance novel about findings love, the connection between sisters, …Read More »
- My favorite books are the ones that introduce a new world, or a new idea that surprises you with its creativity and imagination. The best part of The Starless Seas …Read More »
- Staying at home is the perfect opportunity for you to read books, but if you don’t want to spend money online or go to a store, there are a lot …Read More »
- The Power of Showing Up is described as a parent’s approach to child rearing. It is about what they call the 4 S’s which are steps to develop a secure …Read More »
- In February I read two non-fiction books, one on parenting and one self improvement. I also read a popular fiction novel about race and class.Read More »